Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obi Rope and VR
(05-08-2018, 04:48 PM)Peny22 Wrote: Hello, I am developing a VR application in which its user will connect different kinds of cables to appropriate devices. I wonder whether to buy your ObiRope asset. I have a couple of questions.
1. How will a created rope/wire behave during a teleportation if an application user holds it in his hands when: a) one end of it is connected to an unmovable object while the other one is movable b) both ends are movable? The user will only be able to grip a connector - e.g.  a HDMI connector instead of a jacket of the wire. 
2. How much does the asset affect efficiency? Are 30 wires able to make a significant difference to efficiency? How much is a cpu used by the asset?
3. Will it be possible to get a refund if the asset doesn't work well with my application?
4. Is it hard to use Obi Rope for a beginner in Unity?

Hi,

1.- If you teleport one of the ends (or both) without deactivating the rope first, it will bounce around due to the sudden change in kinetic energy. This is true for all constraint chains in any physics engine: you must either teleport the entire chain (all particles in the rope) or deactivate the simulation, teleport, reactivate it.
2.- It entirely depends on the resolution and length of your wires. The number of wires is completely irrelevant to performance.
3.- Yes.
4.- Not hard for a beginner in Unity if you've used other game engines, but all Obi assets assume you're pretty comfy with simulation and game physics. Terms like convergence speed, time step, mass ratio, etc. should sound familiar to you if you want to make the most out of Obi.

Messages In This Thread
Obi Rope and VR - by Peny22 - 05-08-2018, 04:48 PM
RE: Obi Rope and VR - by josemendez - 06-08-2018, 03:34 PM
RE: Obi Rope and VR - by Peny22 - 08-08-2018, 10:04 PM
RE: Obi Rope and VR - by josemendez - 09-08-2018, 11:20 AM
RE: Obi Rope and VR - by Peny22 - 30-09-2018, 02:00 PM
RE: Obi Rope and VR - by josemendez - 30-09-2018, 03:56 PM
RE: Obi Rope and VR - by Mickman - 29-11-2018, 10:14 PM