Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Holes in the mesh corners when using proxies
(12-06-2018, 09:14 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

Sorry, I didn't notice the small gap in my screenshot.

This is still caused by the same reason: that vertex is being bound to a different triangle than the other triangles in the corner, due to its different normal direction. You could either fine-tune the skinmap to force it to bind to a particular triangle (good if you wish to preserve creases, but can be tedious work), or (which is usually easier) smooth out your model's normals so that all vertices in the same position have roughly the same normal, so they automatically bind to the same triangle (which is what the trenchcoat model does).

See the result of doing this in your mesh, no gap at all:
[Image: 9zuBj4Q.png]

Going into details: Obi's automatic triangle skinning works by using a voting system: for each vertex, all triangles near it are assigned an error metric based on:

- Similarity between triangle and vertex normal (this one is what confuses automatic skinning in your particular case)
- Distance between the vertex and the triangle, along the triangle's normal.
- Barycentric coordinates of the vertex projection on the triangle. Vertices whose projection is closer to the triangle's center get a lower (better) score.

Then, the vertex is bound to the triangle which scored the lowest error. However this can mean that the chosen triangle is not the closest to the vertex, but the one with the most similar orientation, or viceversa. Different weights are assigned to all three criteria, so this usually ends up choosing the best triangle. However under certain circumstances it will not, and that's why skin channels must be used to "direct" the voting system so that it ignores problematic triangles.

Why not just binding to the closest triangle? well, this would not work in multi-layered meshes, self-intersecting meshes, etc.

Could Obi team add vertex color to voting system ? Use vertex color as skin channel ,that the same color in source and target mesh bind together  .This way i can sort vertices group in 3ds max or maya that has better selection tool.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Holes in the mesh corners when using proxies - by PvtOhOhOh - 04-10-2018, 05:14 AM