Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improving collisions and self collisions
(15-08-2017, 11:27 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

Yep, now I get it Sonrisa.

The thing with high-res ropes is that they have more particles, and bend constraints only work on 3 particles at a time (they have very low "radius", if you will). So for the anti-bending forces to propagate faster trough the rope, you need to increase the amount of bending constraint iterations in your ObiSolver. Using 20-50 iterations is not unusual for certain scenarios. This is similar to how all constraints work: for them to be more effective at what they do, you need to tell the solver to spend more resources (iterations) on enforcing them.

This will of course impact performance, as more iterations mean more work for the solver. How high you can crank the amount of iterations depends on your performance budget and how stiff you need your rope to appear. Note that getting a perfectly rigid rod using bend constraints would require an infinite amount of iterations. Obi Rope is designed to simulate ropes/chains, which are usually quite flexible by nature.

There's another kind of constraints we will be adding in the future, called "shape-matching" constraints. These would be better suited to keep particles in a certain rigid shape.

You can take a look at this video (excuse my strong accent), which will hopefully shed some more light on the inner workings of bend constraints:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe5mROQqPv8

cheers!

I dont need a rigid cylinder, but I got your point   Lengua

In fact, what I'm trying to do is to simulate something like an wire winding, as many layers as possible. Naturally, the lower layers must be able to support the upper ones. That's why I need to avoid missing self-collisions, otherwise it's gonna be a mess  Rodar ojos

Something like that:

[Image: f5656874-9b35-429b-a64d-43c27771adc9_1.4...f08f3.jpeg]

Due to that fact, is it possible change the spheric collider inside the rope for the capsule one? It would fill the gaps between the particles without needing to increase its amount.

These shape-matching constraints will be extremely usefull in my project if I were able to freeze parts of the rope in order to relieve the processing. Can't wait to use it   Gran sonrisa

(17-08-2017, 02:50 AM)Ttakala Wrote: I have the same issue: I want to keep resolution high for self-collisions, and also want to be able to have a very stiff rope (I'm modifying the parameters in real-time, and it works pretty well for length and thickness). Setting the bending constraint iterations to 50 (or even 500) just doesn't get me the stiffness that I'm looking for.

Looking forward to the "shape-matching" constraints, hopefully they can be turned on and off in real-time.

Hi! I don't know what stiffness do you need, however here I'm using res 0.5 and 100 bending iterations and it became stiffy enough for my purposes  Huh

Messages In This Thread
RE: Improving collisions and self collisions - by Pr0fitt3R - 17-08-2017, 04:43 PM