Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Tearing in local space
(15-04-2018, 12:35 PM)jabza Wrote: Thanks for the quick response.

I've been using local space as world space produces unwanted movement in the cloth. There doesn't appear to be a 'worldvelocityscale' for world space solvers?

No, there's no world velocity scale for world space solvers, as velocities are already expressed in world space.

(15-04-2018, 12:35 PM)jabza Wrote: My application is sailing simulation, where I am already calculating my own aerodynamic forces. Local space seems like the only option for me to have the most control over the cloth's movement.

I should say im fine with projectiles passing through the cloth, the issue is that tears only seemed to occur every so often (unsatisfying). Could the collision not be being detected? But it sounds like I should be reducing the threshold quite a bit. 

I have tested tearing in local space, and it seems to work ok. The only issue is that since cloth is not able to exert forces on the projectile, it passes trough much quicker than in world space. Reducing the tearing threshold somewhat alleviates this.

(15-04-2018, 12:35 PM)jabza Wrote: - Is there a way to see how much of the cloth has torn, as a percentage?

There's not a built-in way. You could modify the ApplyTearing() method, and count yourself how many edges have been torn, then compare that to the initial amount of edges in the topology.

(15-04-2018, 12:35 PM)jabza Wrote: - Allocated cloth tearing parameter doesn't appear to do anything. I assume a value of 0.25 will only allow a quarter of the cloth to be torn?

If you are referring to the "Tear Capacity" parameter, it determines the maximum % of the cloth that can be torn. Once that percentage is reached, the cloth won't tear further.

Messages In This Thread
Tearing in local space - by jabza - 14-04-2018, 09:38 PM
RE: Tearing in local space - by josemendez - 15-04-2018, 11:49 AM
RE: Tearing in local space - by jabza - 15-04-2018, 12:35 PM
RE: Tearing in local space - by josemendez - 17-04-2018, 09:44 AM
RE: Tearing in local space - by jabza - 17-04-2018, 09:27 AM