Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tether constraints for ropes with no fixed points
My greatest issue with ObiRope so far has been the fact that both rope stiffness and collision preciseness are dependent on particle resolution, and hence you have to choose between a rubbery rope with good collision, or a stiff rope which phases through and/or gets stuck around colliders. The fact that rope stretching increases the gaps between the particles further complicates this issue. Tether constraints are supposed to solve this issue, but from my understanding, they calculate distances based on fixed particles.... and this doesn't work for loose cords and ropes. 

However, i heard mentioned earlier that you can cheat your way through this by initializing tethers with fixed points and then making these points non-fixed at runtime. It seems like a hackish and cumbersome solution to me, but i'm nonetheless interested in how you'd go about this and whether it would actually work. How are tether constraints implemented internally?

Messages In This Thread
Tether constraints for ropes with no fixed points - by khalvr - 09-04-2018, 03:48 PM