Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Tips for improving performance?
Are there any general guidlines or tips to follow in order to reduce Obi Rope’s CPU footprint? Obi currently more than halves my framerate when simulating and I’m looking to get it back down to acceptable VR speed. It seems like most of it comes from updating obi colliders (ObiSolver.FixedUpdate.UpdateColliders is around 30% of frame’s total time.) I’ve been pretty fast and loose with adding obi colliders around since a lot of the game is very up close to the ObiRope cables and I wanted them to interact well with things inside the VR space. Do I need to be more sparing with these?

The other large chunk comes from rendering with ObiSolver.LateUpdate…ObiRopeThichRenderMode.Update being another 25% of my frame’s time. Smoothing seems like the main culprit (drops to aroung 7% when changing smoothing from max 3 down to 0), but decreasing it doesn’t have pleasing results. Should I be using higher cable resolution or some other method to achieve less angular cables instead?

It’s also a huge multiplier on the physics update, increasing it by at least 2 times when the solver is enabled, sometimes more (running on a timestep of .01 with the default 6 solver iterations). Is this just part of the deal when it comes to running this solver, or does it seem like that should be reducable somehow as well?

The scene in question has around 20 cables with an average of around 15 particles each, 4 pins constraints each, hierarchical tethers, and full smoothing/rendering. The solver is set to skip skin, volume, stitch, and density, but does everything else on Sequential settings with 5 iterations. Solver reports that it’s only using 466 particles total, which seems well within a reasonable range, hence my looking elsewhere for spots to improve performance.

Messages In This Thread
Tips for improving performance? - by CageyKG - 17-03-2018, 03:05 AM
RE: Tips for improving performance? - by CageyKG - 20-03-2018, 01:19 AM