Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few questions
Hello,

We are considering a specific game's project and are looking for a 2D fluid simulator in Unity – obviously Obi Fluid seems the best ready-made solution.
Before jumping into it however, I have a few questions, I'd be glad if you could answer them:

1) The Obi solver manual states that "2D mode is usually coupled with the use of 2D colliders". Just to make sure, are you here talking about Physics2D colliders (BoxCollider2D, CircleCollider2D, etc.) as well as 2D rigidbodies? Indeed, performance will matter a lot to us, therefore using Unity's native 2D physics engine seems necessary.

2) Is solving buoyancy computational heavy? More precisely, is having a dozen of 2D rigidbodies (each with a CircleCollider2D collider) affected by buoyancy in a moving fluid, adds a lot of stress on the CPU as compared to, for instance, having just the moving fluid with the same amount of particles and same static colliders (for the 'environment' – tank, etc – containing particles)?

3) I read that emitters are either Disk, Edge, or Sphere. I guess they can be rotated in any axis so they are 3D-space emitters. So, in 2D mode, are the fluid particles computed in 3D space, even if the physics simulation is solved in XY axes only? If so, do their relative Z positions affect anything?

4) Are some simulation processes done in parallel threads or is everything computed in the main thread?

Thanks for reading, answers will definitely help!

PS: I believe that a self-executable demo of Obi Fluid, with both 2D and 3D modes, displayed framerate, interactive particle emitters, and a few objects that can be thrown and moved in the fluid with the mouse, would definitely help people to know what to expect when purchasing your product. (I know it would for us.) Sonrisa

Messages In This Thread
A few questions - by IanTc - 28-02-2018, 06:24 AM
RE: A few questions - by IanTc - 12-03-2018, 02:45 PM
RE: A few questions - by josemendez - 12-03-2018, 03:39 PM
RE: A few questions - by IanTc - 14-03-2018, 12:50 PM