Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rope resolution inconsistency resulting in larger forces required
I have two ropes defined.
Each has a different starting shape. Because they have a different initial shape, they must have different blueprints. 
They both have the same settings in the blueprint though, in particular, they both have a resolution = 0.206
(See attached initial state image)

During runtime, I use a RopeCursor to increase the length of both ropes to ~20.0.
I use a character to drag the ends around and stretch them out.

The issue is... 
The character can successfully drag one of the ropes, but not the other.
This leads to an inconsistent gameplay experience based upon the starting state of the rope.

To debug the issue, I attached a particle renderer and discovered that the rope that cannot be dragged has significantly more particles than the other.
(See attached runtime image)

The rope with red particles cannot be dragged by my character (the force required is too great).
The green particle rope behaves well.

I suspect that the fact the red rope has more particles is why they require more force to move?

Some questions arise:
 - Why does the red particle rope have more particles? (I suspect because I required more control points in the initial shape to create the starting coil shape)
 - Is there a way that I can make sure both ropes have the same inter-particle distance regardless of the starting shape?
 - Alternatively, is there a way to make sure the force required to move each rope is consistent? (lower the friction on the red particles somehow?)

Thanks for your assistance

Messages In This Thread
Rope resolution inconsistency resulting in larger forces required - by inbilla - 17-03-2024, 05:25 AM