Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug / Crash  Performance with Burst on is very bad
I'm getting a major performance hit from my obi ropes, and it's significantly worse when using the Burst as the backend rather than Oni. FPS is ~75 with all ropes disabled, 30 with Burst, and 40 with Oni. 

Using Unity 2022.3.13f1

I've got 11 ropes in the scene - each has its own solver. 

So the story is...
After looking into some performance issues today, I noticed that our obi ropes were the biggest offender. I googled around and realized that I didn't have all the packages installed that I needed for it to use Burst, which should theoretically improve performance a lot. I installed what I needed and I no longer got the package dependency warning, but performance tanked badly. At that point, I was getting an error similar to the one here:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum...-3492.html

I do have the Jobs debugger, safety checks, and leak detection all disabled.

I've tried a few different things to improve performance. It helped a bit, but still isn't good enough. Specifically what I've done is:
- Reduced solver steps from 4->3
- Reduced rope resolution
- Increased decimation

Also tried switching to the line renderer instead of extruded mesh, but that didn't make a difference, presumably because the performance issues are coming from the simulation rather than the rendering.

I also tried installing the old Jobs package individually, but that didn't seem to make any difference either.

Let me know if you want any specific profiling info - I wasn't sure what would be useful and didn't want to flood this post with unnecessary info.

I suspect that my best bet for a big improvement is getting the Burst backend to work properly, but something is definitely wrong there. Any ideas what might be the issue and how I can solve it?

Messages In This Thread
Performance with Burst on is very bad - by ShawnF - 13-03-2024, 11:19 AM