Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Rope with sharp change in thickness
(29-02-2024, 01:06 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

Ropes interpolate thickness, color, mass, etc between control points and pass this data on to particles. Placing two control points *exactly* on top of each other in an attempt to disable interpolation won't work, because parallel transport (the algorithm used to generate the extruded mesh) requires the distance between consecutive points to be larger than a small epsilon value. Attempting to do so will yield unstable results as you just discovered.

While you can't do this using ObiRopeExtrudedRenderer renderer, you can switch to ObiRopeMeshRenderer which will allow you to deform an arbitrary mesh (no need to tweak control points, the mesh will be used as-is). Note this is costlier than just extruding a basic shape, which is what the default ObiRopeExtrudedRenderer does.

kind regards,

Hi, thank you for the quick reply. I was careful to not place the control points on top of each other as I had seen from a previous post that it would cause a problem, but I suspect that once the smoothing is applied, adding I think 5 particles between control points, the gap between them may be too small.

I'll have a look into the ObiRopeMeshRenderer and see how badly it impacts performance, so we can decide if it is worth the hit or not

Thank you for the advice!

Messages In This Thread
Rope with sharp change in thickness - by Fuzzypeg - 29-02-2024, 12:48 PM
RE: Rope with sharp change in thickness - by Fuzzypeg - 29-02-2024, 02:44 PM