Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  OBI Performance degradation over time
Hi,

I have a collection of issues relating to performance degradation over time in the scene when using Obi Cloth on relatively complex 2-manifold meshes. I am creating a game where you inflate objects (such as life rafts, balls, Santas, snowmen, etc). The inflation mechanic works pretty well. However, on some meshes, there are odd performance issues. Apologies, this is going to be a couple of odd observations that may or may not be related.

I have noticed that as the scene is running, increasing calls are being made to ObiFixedUpdator.FixedUpdate/Substep. It increases from 5 (which is what I expect) and then after a minute can increase to 20 or 25 which is where the issues start. Even if there is no action in the game, this number starts increasing.

Some odd things I have noticed...

Once the issue starts, it persists even after I reload the same scene (like in a replay game). In fact, it can be even worse when I reload the scene. However, if I reload the scene quickly a few times, it seems to reset the calls back to a low number, and it behaves normally. 

Even more oddly, if I destroy the object that has the obi solver and the obi actor, then wait a few seconds, reloading the scene will result in disastrous performance. Performance is good when I have destroyed the object before I reload the scene, but then the number of calls immediately goes to 30+ on the next scene when the OBI object returns. It's almost like there is a leak somewhere, and reloading the scene doesn't fix it (though reloading it frequently in quick succession does). Note, I destroy the object when the inflatable object has "exploded" due to over-inflation (my own mechanic). Is it wrong to destroy the OBI Solver and Actor?

The mesh with the problem has 2362 triangles and is the only OBI actor in the scene. I also have an OBI Collider, an OBI rigid body, and an Obi Particle attachment on it.

I have tried both Oni and Burst and the problem occurs with both, though I think Oni is a little better. With Burst, I have safety checks switched off of course.

Thanks in advance.

michael.

Messages In This Thread
OBI Performance degradation over time - by michendo - 09-01-2024, 09:55 AM