Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Attaching a rope to a character controller... and somehow reading the force
Hello,

I've implemented my character using a character controller, because I prefer to have fine-grain control over it rather than use a Rigidbody.

I would like to connect an obi rope to my character, so that she can pull an object connected to the other end.

I've done this with a static attachement, which works great except that I would like to be able to read the force being applied (or rather ignored) at the static attachment so that I can manually affect my character controller's movement. 

Is there an easy way to do this?

One option I've thought of, which feels like a hack, is to look at the position of the particle second-closest to the character, and use this to infer the tension in the rope and its direction, and use this to approximate the force.

Alternatively, I could migrate to using a rigidbody instead of a character controller, which seems like a lot of effort.

Any thoughts?

Messages In This Thread
Attaching a rope to a character controller... and somehow reading the force - by Jambo - 10-12-2023, 10:59 PM