Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cloth push-back and pass-through
Hi, I am trying to use a tool to push on cloth in VR.
I have 2 issues.

1. Cloth push-back on tool
Is there a way to increase the force exerted by the cloth on the tool?
As I understand it, PBD starts from position, then calculates velocity, which is then used to calculate impulse.
So I increased the mass of both particle and tool and it helps quite a bit. Are there other ways?

(I am holding the tool with a configurable joint spring. When the hand moves through an impassable VR object, the tool is separated from the hand, and visuals signal the user that this is unrealistic)

2. Object passes through cloth
The cloth resists bulky shapes like sphere colliders nicely.

a) but I have issues with long and thin objects like a cylinder (capsule collider). The ends of the cylinder tend to be resisted fairly, but the sides of the cylinder slip through, even though barely any force is applied.
I suspected maybe there weren't enough particles, but increasing particle density (via mesh) and particle radius (via cloth blueprint) does not help.

b) I enabled surface collisions which works with bulky colliders but not the cylinder sides.
I observe that the object passes through the cloth upon a certain force (and not particle separation). Is this observation correct?

=====
Side question: what does the setting "one-sided collisions" on the obi cloth component mean? I could not find it in the manual or the forum.

Thanks

Messages In This Thread
Cloth push-back and pass-through - by danazoid - 14-07-2023, 06:21 AM