Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Rod model and other Fly Fishing questions
Hi, 
I'm having a lot of fun with the asset, trying, as many did before me, to simulate a Fly fishing line and rod. I know it's not possible to simulate it exactly as it is in real life, but I'm getting closer and closer to something that is satisfying enough.
Here is a reminder of the effect wanted:

Couple of things to focus on, the line motion is a straight line, the leader with the fly is following perfectly. 
The fly is not that heavy and the difference with or without a fly is not that important.

My setup is as follow: 1 Solver and Update, a Rod and Rope. The Rope start (fishing line) is snitched to the tip of the rod so i can get the impulse from the rod. I don't have a fly or leader for now.

When I bring the rod from the back, it's usually the tip of the line that goes first instead of last as you can see in the video the fly is last and driven by the rest of the line. For me it looks like it's driven by a rebound or elasticity of the line how can I avoid that?

When I try to "deploy" my line, it also has a rebound, adding damping doesn't help much and makes the casting harder.

Probably because of the rod, but my line is not going very straight even if my movement is right, I've read that it's difficult to have a more rigid rod, what are my options?
If I use a physic rod (configurable joint) how can I get the impulse from the rod?
When changing the length of the rope, is the mass automatically changing too?
Is it possible to use a custom model with a rod? Right now I've a custom handle but when moving my hand there is a slight delay at the connection (attachments static) so it's not really a solution ...

That's already a lot of questions!
 Here are some settings of my solver and rope. And a video of some casts.
Thanks a lot!

Messages In This Thread
Rod model and other Fly Fishing questions - by Balou - 03-04-2023, 02:21 AM