Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Ropes Jitter in Crane Movement
(17-03-2023, 08:16 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

I don't have permission to access the video you shared, requested access to it.

Jittering issues can have a lot of causes, but none of them are caused by the actual rope/blueprint setup. The top culprits are:

- Incorrect updating: updating crane movement in Update, while the rope is updated in FixedUpdate: since FixedUpdate works at a fixed frequency (the default is 50 Hz) but Update() is called once per frame at a variable frequency, you'll get frames where the crane moves but the rope doesn't.

- Incorrect execution order: the order in which Unity calls the same callbacks for different components is undefined by default. So you might get the crane updating first some frames and updating after some others. You can fix this by using Obi's own solver callbacks, or explicitly setting Unity's execution order.

- Attaching the rope inside a collider: if you add an attachment inside of or very close to a collider that the rope is colliding against, you're asking the solver to make sure that the rope is simultaneously inside the collider (due to the attachment) and outside of it (due to collisions). This will lead to jittering as the solver tries to solve this impossible configuration. This issue along with its solution is explained in the manual, see "Attachments inside colliders": http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...ments.html

kind regards,

I forgot to enable the sharing in Google Drive. Now I have enabled it so you can check it as well if you can notice any specific pattern in jitter.

Thanks a lot for pointing out the probable causes, i'll look into them one by one as well to see if any one of them is causing the trouble or not

Messages In This Thread
Ropes Jitter in Crane Movement - by vrtraining - 16-03-2023, 04:58 PM
RE: Ropes Jitter in Crane Movement - by vrtraining - 17-03-2023, 08:24 AM