Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  How to damp the swing in the Freight Lifter scenario?
I am interested in doing something along the lines of your existing Freight Lift demo, where there's a number of ropes holding a mass like a pendulum.

In my situation though, the cables are much longer.  I have the bounciness under control but now would like to reduce or damp the amount of pendulum swing when the top of the freight crane moves.  Real physics is cool, and all, but this is a game and I don't want to make users cry with trying to stabilize the load quite that much.

What is the best way to do this?  I am thinking of measuring the deflection and applying a counter force to the load/platform objects pinned at the bottom of the ropes.  Is there a specific Obi API or should I just apply it with regular Physics.AddForce()?  Or is there an alternative?

(As an aside, with the Freight Lift demo, I noticed that if I change the rope density below about 0.25 to help reduce the distance constraint workload, the simulation refuses to lengthen/shorten the ropes.  I didn't see anything in the docs about a valid range here.)

Messages In This Thread
How to damp the swing in the Freight Lifter scenario? - by hariedo - 22-01-2023, 07:11 PM