Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Cloth Jitter
(13-07-2022, 04:04 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi again,

Just took a look at your project, disregard my previous message about character size/sleep threshold.The culprit just seems to be a combination of bad settings:

- You're using a LateFixedUpdater, but set the Animator update to normal update on one of the characters. This causes animation and simulation to run out of sync with each other. If you're using a LateFixedUpdater component, set the Animator's update to "Animate Physics"

- You're using 4 substeps and both bending and stretching compliances are set to zero. Since your models are rather lowpoly, this will cause cloth to be extremely rigid, almost cardboard-like. Reduce the amount of substeps (1 is enough, no need to spend more) and increase both the bending/stretching compliance parameters on the cloth. A value of 0.01-0.02 will do fine.

The reason why using more substeps is just wasting performance in this case is that the cloth is very low-poly, and the character animation is only updated once per frame. Using more than 1 substep would cause cloth to update at a frequency four times higher than the animation, which will look weird and won't result in any noticeable quality improvements because the mesh is low-poly anyway.

- Your cloth's max compression is set to 0, this is ok for high-poly cloth but in low-poly meshes it will make cloth look very rigid, since mesh edges cannot reduce their length (become compressed). Increase it to at least 0.5 (which allows edges to compress to 50% of their rest length).

- You're using 1 updater for each solver. This will negate most multithreading benefits, since it forces each cloth to be updated sequentially. Use a single updater for all solvers as suggested in the manual:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...aters.html

These adjustments should result in much faster simulation, and remove all jittering. Let me know if I can be of further help, kind regards.

That was really helpful, thanks!

It's looking better and gives me good direction to keep updating it. 

Much appreciated!

Messages In This Thread
Cloth Jitter - by brootas - 12-07-2022, 08:01 PM
RE: Cloth Jitter - by josemendez - 13-07-2022, 11:25 AM
RE: Cloth Jitter - by brootas - 13-07-2022, 03:26 PM
RE: Cloth Jitter - by josemendez - 13-07-2022, 03:40 PM
RE: Cloth Jitter - by josemendez - 13-07-2022, 04:04 PM
RE: Cloth Jitter - by brootas - 13-07-2022, 06:30 PM