Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Bone: Bending around obstacles
(26-05-2022, 10:53 PM)pixelpax Wrote: My goal is to allow the tentacle to deform around walls with an ik constraint that's controlled by a player. i.e. if my tentacle flows around a corner, it should retain it's shape as much as possible while bending to accommodate the corner.

How are you implementing this IK constraint?

(26-05-2022, 10:53 PM)pixelpax Wrote: I've tried only turning on bending, but this doesn't work well. Is this effect achievable with Obi Bones?

If you disable stretching (stretch/shear constraints) then bones will stretch infinitely. Note this isn't the same as disabling "stretch bones" in the ObiBone component: this will simply keep the original bone scale/length intact, but the simulation will still constrain the length and relative position between particles.

The effect you're after is definitely doable using bones.

(26-05-2022, 10:53 PM)pixelpax Wrote: I feel like I almost want to put a rope in the tentacle and just make new control points when it rounds a corner.

Ropes won't work for this however, since they're unable to keep their rest shape and they don't model torsion. Both are required for a bone chain.

(26-05-2022, 10:53 PM)pixelpax Wrote: I've included my example scene, thank you in advance!

I see no attachments to your post. Make sure to click the "Add Attachment" button to the right of your attachment after loading/dragging a new attachment, otherwise it won't actually be added to the post.

kind regards,

Messages In This Thread
Bone: Bending around obstacles - by pixelpax - 26-05-2022, 10:53 PM
RE: Bone: Bending around obstacles - by josemendez - 27-05-2022, 07:50 AM