Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  sticky fluid crawls out of containers
(12-05-2022, 01:55 PM)josemendez Wrote: One experiment you can do to tell for sure if friction is to blame is to make the container non-kinematic, but do not move it using joints or external forces. If fluid keeps crawling around, then my assumption is wrong and we should look somewhere else. If fluid only crawls around when the container's velocity is non-zero then something is messing with the container's velocity after the fluid simulation is performed.

That's the situation in the video before I pick up the container, right? The fluid doesn't crawl in this state. Or do you mean no external forces as in not even gravity?

Quote:Stickiness is only applied in the direction normal to the surface, it cannot make particles move tangentially to the surface of the object by itself. However, stickiness will increase the normal force since it pushes particles against the surface, so frictional forces will become much larger since they're proportional to the magnitude of the normal force.

If stickiness only amplifies these friction forces, that would mean setting dynamic and static friction to 0 on my material would fix the problem even with non-zero stickiness, or am I understanding that wrong? The fluid is still crawling in this case where there should be no friction, though less than with friction.

Nevermind, I also had some friction on the material of the fluid which was averaging together with the container material. The effect is gone with no friction on both materials. Having no friction at all makes the fluid way to slippery though, as you explained the stickiness has very little effect on keeping the particles in place on the surface without friction.

Messages In This Thread
sticky fluid crawls out of containers - by locque - 11-05-2022, 07:01 PM
RE: sticky fluid crawls out of containers - by locque - 13-05-2022, 02:58 PM