Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rope created at runtime is longer than the distance between the two connection points
(06-04-2022, 07:49 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!
There's several possible causes for this (distance constraints stretching scale > 1, poor convergence due to iterations/substeps, among others). Going to assume everything else not shown in your code is set to default settings:

You know the distance between the two control points in a straight line, but what's the distance between them along the path? You're normalizing the path tangents, which means that for any distance that's roughly < 1 (the tangent length) the path will be a "flat curve" -move forward, then backwards, then forwards again- and as a result the rope will be longer than the distance between the points in a straight line.

Have you tried shortening the tangents?

Hey, doing what you said worked. I am having a different issue now though, which is:

1. When creating the object initially, if it's kinematic, it's in the correct position and rope length is correct; however, once it becomes non-kinematic it sags pretty dramatically.
  2. After applying forces to the plate with bullet physics, the plate only moves backward; it does not return to its resting/hanging position. The only way I saw to fix this was to lower the pin relaxation value to 0.25.
[Image: screenshot.png]

I have fixed some of the issues with plate sticking; using 0.45 seems to be the highest relaxation that doesn't cause overly elastic movement. There is still more elasticity than I'd like for a chain. As well I configured the rotation compliance of the pin that's on the plate and set that value to one I found in Obi's source of "10000" to mean free-rotate. This creates a reasonably convincing look. Any advice on reducing the elasticity would still be helpful though.

The initial sagging though I still need to fix somehow.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rope created at runtime is longer than the distance between the two connection points - by NailEngine - 06-04-2022, 10:09 PM