Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Mocking a bundle of cables
(22-02-2022, 07:10 PM)griswold Wrote: Hi Jose,

Thank you! yes that makes sense about the control points.  I am trying to create an accurate to physics simulation, realtime is not a requirement but would be a bonus if possible.  I attached a picture of the CAD model of the cables, lanyards, and connectors.  The two groups of connector ends will be moving relative to each other and at a specified but variable distance the lanyards will pull off the connectors, the designers are interested in any re-contact between those disconnected connectors and any of the surrounding structure. 

In this case, I wouldn't use the bundle/skeleton approach and just model each cable individually.

(22-02-2022, 07:10 PM)griswold Wrote: I have tried to model the cable as a simple rod, and attached the lower left end to the connector with a static particle attachment, and then used a dynamic particle attachment to the connector on the upper right.  I am struggling to configure the rod/attachment because when that connector is detached (rigidbody isKinematic set to false) I am getting wild reactions from the rod.  I have made sure that there is no conflict with the connector collider and the particle positions and used accurate widths for the rod and mass for the connector. 

Could you share a short video (or even a gif) of the rod behavior when attached to a non kinematic connector? As long as there's no constraint conflicts, the only other possible reason for weird behavior is large mass ratios (the connector being much heavier than the rod or viceversa).

kind regards,

Messages In This Thread
Mocking a bundle of cables - by billmccrary - 26-01-2022, 08:15 PM
RE: Mocking a bundle of cables - by josemendez - 27-01-2022, 08:55 AM
RE: Mocking a bundle of cables - by billmccrary - 27-01-2022, 02:06 PM
RE: Mocking a bundle of cables - by griswold - 17-02-2022, 10:22 PM
RE: Mocking a bundle of cables - by josemendez - 18-02-2022, 09:28 AM
RE: Mocking a bundle of cables - by griswold - 22-02-2022, 07:10 PM
RE: Mocking a bundle of cables - by josemendez - 23-02-2022, 09:37 AM
RE: Mocking a bundle of cables - by griswold - 24-02-2022, 06:45 AM
RE: Mocking a bundle of cables - by josemendez - 24-02-2022, 08:38 AM