Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Mocking a bundle of cables
Hi Jose,

I am also trying to model a set of cables and connectors along with lanyards that are meant to pull off the connectors at a specified distance, the groups of connectors will be moving relative to each other and the cables etc reacting to that. When the connectors get pulled off due to lanyard reaching specified length it should react to gravity.

I am curious to learn about a better approach than what I have tried.  I wanted to use rods for the cables since they need some stiffness like thicker wire, and then use ropes for the lanyards.  I have started to make a blueprint for each cable since the lengths and other characteristics like thickness need to be tailored.  I hope to use the same blueprints for the lanyards and then just offset those instances. The issue I am running into is it is difficult to get the control points in the right position/orientation without making a mess since these bundles are not right at the origin and not on a main coordinate axis so the global controls take a lot of manipulating to achieve the desired initial state (I think I'm missing a fundamental blueprint usage concept or something... seems like maybe I should be making my blueprint around the origin and then translating/rotating a parent transform to place that instance in the scene instead maybe? As it is I am putting the rope actor at the origin and then adjusting the control points to be in the specific location which is kinda far from the origin). You mentioned skeletons, so I think that I need to understand a totally different way to achieve what I'm doing. However, that's not the biggest problem I am encountering (but likely contributing?), I was able to get a cable modeled as rod to attach and solve for it's position well even with some motion (start and end connector groups moving relative to each other and end particles static attached) but when I attempt to enable the dynamic attachment and then enable the connector rigidbody that the rod is attached to at the top end to simulate that connector disconnecting and falling due to gravity I am struggling to contain the wild constraint battles that ensue. I would like some guidance on what approach you would take to setup this scenario. I have tried to use appropriate masses and make sure that particles are not conflicting with colliders, but still I think I'm doing plenty wrong and appreciate your advice!

Thank you,
Adam

Messages In This Thread
Mocking a bundle of cables - by billmccrary - 26-01-2022, 08:15 PM
RE: Mocking a bundle of cables - by josemendez - 27-01-2022, 08:55 AM
RE: Mocking a bundle of cables - by billmccrary - 27-01-2022, 02:06 PM
RE: Mocking a bundle of cables - by griswold - 17-02-2022, 10:22 PM
RE: Mocking a bundle of cables - by josemendez - 18-02-2022, 09:28 AM
RE: Mocking a bundle of cables - by griswold - 22-02-2022, 07:10 PM
RE: Mocking a bundle of cables - by josemendez - 23-02-2022, 09:37 AM
RE: Mocking a bundle of cables - by griswold - 24-02-2022, 06:45 AM
RE: Mocking a bundle of cables - by josemendez - 24-02-2022, 08:38 AM