Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug / Crash  Invalid memory access using Burst backend
On two different occasions now, I have experienced a crash (i.e., handled by Unity's crash handler, exiting the application) in a build with the Burst backend. Since both crashes have the exact same stack trace, it appears to be a systematic issue somewhere. See the attached log.

Note that the outputs from GetLastError are localized and my OS is German. Es wurde versucht, auf eine unzulässige Adresse zuzugreifen translates to There was an attempt to access an invalid address.

As can be seen in the log, the crash happens in Obi.BurstColliderWorld.IdentifyMovingColliders. Unfortunately, I cannot give any concrete steps to reproduce it. What I can tell, however, is that both times, the crash occured when there were "many" Obi colliders and rigidbodies. I cannot tell how many precisely, but picture a fighting game where each character has 15 Obi colliders/rigidbodies (one for each part of a ragdoll) and there are always exactly 12 Obi rods in the scene (ropes of a ring). A rough guess of 16 characters seems plausible, that should give 240 colliders and rigidbodies, but not all of them are active (enabled flag) at all times.

So just to rule this out: Is there any known limit on the number of active Obi colliders / rigidbodies with the Burst backend?

What would speak against that is that the crash doesn't occur right away, but really only after an extended playtime of 10 to 15 minutes. This also makes it a bit hard to reproduce.

My environment:
Built player on Windows 10, 64-bit
Unity 2021.2.4
Burst 1.6.3
Collection 1.1.0
Jobs 0.11.0-preview6
Mathematics 1.2.5

Please let me know if I can provide any further meaningful information. I also have the crash dumps in case you can use them.

EDIT: I just tried a lengthy session using the Oni backend and everything seems fine, so this should be specific to Burst only.

Attached Files
.zip   obi_crash.zip (Size: 5.15 KB / Downloads: 3)

Messages In This Thread
Invalid memory access using Burst backend - by pdinklag - 03-01-2022, 05:29 PM