Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Need some explanation of 6.3 Particle's properties
(06-12-2021, 10:53 AM)josemendez Wrote: Most of these deal with Obi's internal physics engine (which uses extended position-based dynamics) and aren't useful unless you're into writing your own constraints or interpolation scheme, which is very advanced stuff. Certainly not needed to mimic particle behavior.

startOrientations are the orientation of particles at the start of the timestep. These are used when interpolating rotations, if your solver has interpolation enabled. The resulting interpolated orientations are written to the renderableOrientations array, which should be used for rendering.

restOrientations are used as the "reference" orientation of particles for shape matching constraints, and also used to determine if particles overlap at rest and disable collision between them (just like restPositions).

previousOrientations are the orientations at the end of the previous timestep. These are used together with the current orientations (just "orientations") to calculate angular velocities.

orientationDeltas are adjustments made by constraints. Any adjustments made to particle orientations are accumulated here during each timestep. Once all constraints have accumulated their corrections these are then applied to the current orientations, and the deltas reset to zero.

Positions also have matching property arrays (startPositions, restPositions, previousPositions, positionDeltas). Take a look at how position-based dynamics works, these will start to make sense: https://matthias-research.github.io/page...sedDyn.pdf

No need to use any of the above arrays, just some basic matrix math: You need to calculate the transform's orientation/position relative to the particle at "bind" time -can be at the start of the game, when you press a button, or any time you want really- then every frame take the particle orientation/position, apply this relative orientation/position back, and write the result to your transform (this is exactly the same process used for skinning a mesh to a skeleton). I'm attaching a sample script that does this for softbodies.

Note this will only work if your actor uses oriented particles. Currently the only ones that do are rods, bones  and softbodies. Cloth, fluids and ropes do not use particle orientations. In the case of cloth, orientation is determined using the mesh's normals. In case of ropes, orientation is determined using parallel transport along the rope's path (you need to use ObiPathSmoother to get an orientation, let me know if you need info on this), and in case of fluids there's just no orientation.
Thank you for your giving the explanation, resource and a sample code. Now I understand why they are not explained in documents for users.
I thought startOrientations or restOrientations might store the initial rotations of vertices of the very first frame. So I was trying to calculate the rotation difference between current and the initial rotations by comparing rendableRotations with either of them but I was wrong.
Thank you very much for supplying AttachSoftboy.cs. The code is very sophisticated and there are many things to learn and study. With my level of math experience, there are some parts which is very hard to fully understand for me but I think I can start learning from there. Your codes will be my heirloom!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need some explanation of 6.3 Particle's properties - by Snail921 - 07-12-2021, 08:01 AM