Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ObiColliders and Procedural Load
Hello,

Like a lot of people who need an asset as sophisticated as Obi, my world loads procedurally and every instance of every object has to be created by code not exist in a pre-fabricated scene as a prop.

I've run into kind of a major hangup with getting Obi Rope to work in that environment. From the introduction(?) on the tutorials page: "Add a ObiCollider component to any collider in your scene to make it work with Obi."

I have no idea what colliders in my scene need to interact with the rope, how would I? Once loaded my scene has around 3,000 active colliders at a time (out of millions total). Adding another component to all of them during runtime especially when it searches the hierarchy for a rigidbody that will never exist seems like an impossible amount of overhead. A rope will only be active in my scene about 0.1% of the time.

So the only solution I can think of is to basically spherecast from the position of every particle, every frame, whenever a rope is active, and for each hit test if it already has the component, then find the rigidbody and assign the ObiRigidbody manually because I need a reference, then assign the ObiCollider because I need a reference to that as well, then test each reference each frame and remove it if it is out of range of the rope, and remove all those components if the rope becomes inactive. That would be, again, probably more overhead than the rope itself creates - and really I think an unfair amount of code that I would have to write to get this rope to be a rope.

So my question is what is the correct solution to this problem?

What I'm trying to do is really pretty straightforward; just have a rope that behaves like you'd expect a rope to behave, not passing through other physical objects.

Side note, creating a rope by code is something that seems to come up fairly often in this fourm and looking at the commonly referenced ObiRopeHelper.cs is still requiring me to make some fairly large logical leaps to get anything but runtime errors that leave me wondering if I'm using the product wrong, creating wasteful code or at least wasting a lot of time. An example that actually shows how to create an example rope by code would be extremely helpful. You can't just do new ObiRopeHelper() because that script assumes it's already set up in the hierarchy with references to unspecified objects.

Thanks,

Jon

Messages In This Thread
ObiColliders and Procedural Load - by jonworks - 18-01-2018, 07:03 AM