Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ObiColliders and Procedural Load
Thanks for your patience with my problems. My game is a building game and players can use the rope in a variety of ways (including ways I haven't thought of). It's not critical that the rope behaves identically under all circumstances. However it is critical that the rope behaves remotely like a rope under all circumstances and doesn't spaz out or crash the game.

The rope must be able to support a 1kg weight at 1m long, then be extended to 60m long and pick up/support a 1000kg weight, then lift the 1000kg weight up to the starting point.

This sounds like a tall order, but it really shouldn't be, because the rope parameters can be adjusted since the rope does not need to behave uniformly. IE, if the rope can be made to work at both of those extremes, then it can be made to work anywhere in between by adjusting the parameters in real time. For example a large part of my previous solution with rope that uses the built-in physics engine was adjusting the resolution (length of capsule colliders in that case) and the rope mass, depending on the length and attached mass respectively. My previous rope worked fine within those parameters, but as I've mentioned before, just crashed the game a certain percentage of the time.

Currently the case I'm unable to resolve is a 40m rope with a 400kg mass attached. Without tethers (regardless of iteration count or resolution) it's too much like a rubber band. With tethers the rope is always a squiggly line and behaves like it's yanking the rope every few frames instead of exerting uniform pulling force on the mass.

I tried starting with your crane example to give you some steps to reproduce, but like everything in this project it has been an odyssey of frustration. The rope won't extend past a certain distance. Looked in the crane controller and I can't find a limiter there. Tried increasing pooled particles using cursor.rope.pooledParticles both in Start() and Update() but no change. Tried increasing pooled particles for the rope in inspector while playing but no change. Tried increasing the pooled particles before pressing play but no change. Tried initializing the rope after increasing the pooled particles both while playing and before playing but it broke the whole thing and now the rope just falls into the void.

Thanks,

Jon

Messages In This Thread
ObiColliders and Procedural Load - by jonworks - 18-01-2018, 07:03 AM
RE: ObiColliders and Procedural Load - by jonworks - 05-02-2018, 12:26 AM