Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Need fixed width rope with no stretching at all
(18-06-2021, 02:15 PM)josemendez Wrote: That sounds like you're simply forcing the rope to overstretch. With 8 substeps, there should be zero stretching. Are you using static attachments at the ends of the rope, by any chance?

Did you assign a material to the rope at all? Unity will use a flat pink color to draw objects with no material. This is standard Unity behavior, not related to Obi.

This is completely normal. If you overstretch the rope by pushing a collider across the rope (I assume you just move the collider by setting its position), at some point the rope will miss collisions. Simply use forces to move the bar, instead of forcing it by setting its position. This way, the rope can stop the bar from moving once it's fully stretched. Note this applies to any existing physics engine, not just Obi.

If your rope resolution is too low (there's gaps in-between particles), you can use surface collisions. See:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...sions.html

Thanks for your quick answer @josemendez.

Yes I set static attachment to the end of the rope. One end is "pinned" to the wall for example, and other is pinned to sphere. I change position of the sphere(not with forces) and drag center of the rope through the bar I want to collide. Maybe I will try to move the sphere with forces and see if the rope will stretching? 

Surface base collision of the rope is checked.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need fixed width rope with no stretching at all - by Tattler - 18-06-2021, 02:39 PM