Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion / Idea  Option to limit the number of particles in a given actor
A feature I have implemented myself is the ability to define a maximum number of particles a rope can possess when it generates.

One thing I noticed during testing is it is easy for the player to accidentally select two very distant points when deciding to join them together with a rope. For example, point A is at your feet, and point B is on the side of a distant mountain. Even with a modest resolution of 0.1, it'll quickly bring the game to its knees as expected.

Now that surface-based collisions are a thing, it seems especially appropriate to allow hard limits on the number of particles when they are converted. For premade blueprints, it'd make sense to not include this feature since you can determine ahead of time how many particles will get generated. Though for player-made ropes it can get flaky.

I figured since you liked at least one idea I had, I thought I'd share this one. It's at least the least controversial idea I have currently.  Guiño

(This could also apply to other types of actors.)

Messages In This Thread
Option to limit the number of particles in a given actor - by Hatchling - 20-05-2021, 09:16 PM