Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Terrain Distance Field collisions
I have a medium sizedĀ terrain (128 width, 128 length, 600 height) that I'd like to get cloth collisions working with. (The main character in my game has a gown that drags along the ground behind her.)

I've attached an ObiCollider to the terrain object, which works fine - but the framerate suffers a bit. So I decided to try using a distance field instead: I used a tool to create a mesh from the terrain data, used that mesh to generate a distance field, and then assigned the distance field to the ObiCollider that sits on the terrain. (The terrain is still a proper Unity Terrain object - the mesh was just an intermediate object).

Performance is better, but the collisions produced by the distance field are pretty bad - at rest, the gown sits visibly above the ground, and gets far more bunched up, wrinkled, and rumpled.

I've attached two screenshots, one using the distance field and one not. (Argh - why does theĀ forum limit these to 100kb each ?!?!?)

NOT using a distance field:

USING a distance field:

Is what I'm doing a bad idea, for some reason - or am I misconfiguring something?

Messages In This Thread
Terrain Distance Field collisions - by timconkling - 29-04-2021, 11:14 PM