Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Obi rope Not working as advertised
Thanks a lot for your feedback, there's some food for though in there. I'm considering adding a more lengthy, detailed version of the quickstart guide directly in the manual to guide the first steps.

(20-04-2021, 09:24 PM)tomasw33 Wrote: It might help if the obi rope section itself referenced needing an anchor point, or that the constraint section had important information to avoid this.

Obi actors (ropes in particular) do not need an attachment component to be functional, just like a rigidbody does not need a joint component.

(20-04-2021, 09:24 PM)tomasw33 Wrote: why would I know that the rope didn't automatically anchor itself when that isn't mentioned in the obi rope section or the quickstart manual included with the download?

I guess this depends on what your expectations are, but all physics engines I've ever come across (both realtime and offline) do not anchor, attach, or limit body movement in any way by default. It's up to you to add these if you want to.

Placing attachments by default and then having to optionally remove them is kinda weird, specially since it's not obvious what part of a rope you might be interested in anchoring/attaching, or where to: one end? both? somewhere along the middle? Most users would just end up removing the "default" attachment to then add their own, which adds friction to the workflow and can quickly become annoying.

One alternative would be to provide a "Obi Rope (attached)" option in the GameObject menu, in addition to the regular one. This way you could create a rope that has one of its ends anchored by default, and still keep the ability to create one with no anchors. Do you think this would be useful?

Messages In This Thread
Obi rope Not working as advertised - by tomasw33 - 20-04-2021, 08:33 PM
RE: Obi rope Not working as advertised - by josemendez - 21-04-2021, 07:51 AM