Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion / Idea  Subtitles in the solver constraints list
(03-03-2021, 08:14 AM)josemendez Wrote: That's a good idea, thanks! Sonrisa

It depends on what you want to do. Volume and Skin constraints are both used by cloth, and only by cloth. However, Skin constraints are used for skinned cloth, and volume constraints for closed cloth meshes. So even though both would have the cloth subtitle right next to it, the devil is in the details. A regular cloth can work without either, a skinned cloth can work without volume but not without skin.

I get it, so I will definitely add subtitles in the next update. For this specific case you mention though, stretch/shear should always be used for rods (specially when not using chain constraints as well), as they strive to keep the rod's length. Without them the rod will stretch a lot. The zig-zag patterns appear when using sequential evaluation, as it's order-dependent:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...olver.html

Constraints are divided in batches for efficient parallelization. In rods and ropes, all even constraints are updated first, then all odd constraints. So odd constraints always have a slight "advantage" so to speak, as they are evaluated last, and this makes zig-zag patterns visible. In parallel mode, even and odd constraints are evaluated separately and their contributions averaged in a second pass, so order is not important. This order-dependency is also mentioned and demonstrated here: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...gence.html

So in case of visible patterns, using more iterations and/or parallel mode is the correct solution.

Oh, my bad, you are right, I didn't disabled stretch shear, actually I changed from sequential to parallel and the zigzag shape was gone, I missed the correct word. But having that clarification would be nice Guiño

Messages In This Thread
RE: Subtitles in the solver constraints list - by JhonatasFarias - 03-03-2021, 04:17 PM