Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative Bending Constraint Implementation
Thanks for the detailed response.

We have a couple of different use cases. 

-The player is inside a soft body world like a big squishy tube. The tube is not closed/solid.
-The player can collide, grab, and pull on the world.
-There are solid softbody objects attached to the world.
-The player can grab and rip apart this pre-fractured softbody objects.

I don't think shape matching is the right approach for this, particularly the tearing part.

In the tests I've run in houdini I've gotten good results using distance constraints and bend constraints. Houdini can create these internal struts of distance constraints which preserves the volume pretty well. 
For non-solid objects, I've been creating distance constraints to some fix/static world position to kinda pin the object in place.
For ripping apart I'm thinking of pre-fracturing in Houdini and creating distance constraints that I remove after some threshold.

If the triangle bending constraints are as good or better than the DihedralAngle it sounds like a better approach would be to modify my houdini tool to generate triangle bending constraints vs attempting to implement DihedralAngleConstraints in Obi but I'm open to any other ideas/recommendations.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Alternative Bending Constraint Implementation - by saiacide - 11-11-2020, 08:13 PM