Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Detect rope collision with raycast?
Hi there!

Code:
what are "particle1" and "particle 2" inside of an element and such, the documentation only says they're ints but I'm not sure what they do

As per the manual, a rope is essentially a list of points (particles) chained together. An element is just a line segment in between two particles. Particles are identified by their index in a solver.

From this you can conclude that "particle1" and "particle2" are the indices of the two particles at each end of the element.

Code:
But how can I detect a specific element by raycast hit?

You can't directly "raycast" against line segments because they have no volume or thickness. You can however cast a ray against particles (which is what the ObiParticlePicker utility component does), or treat segments as swept volumes (cylinders/capsules) and cast against that.

Note that there's no built-in raycast functions against either particles or elements, but it's trivial to write your own: casting against a particle is simply a point-segment distance test (you can use ObiUtils.ProjectPointLine or Vector3.Project for this) and casting against an element is just a segment-segment distance test.

Most of this is just general 3D math knowledge, so it isn't covered by the manual or youtube tutorials. All Obi does is expose a list of particles and their properties (positions, velocities, radius, etc) that you can get/set at any time (see:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...icles.html). What you do with this particle data is up to you.

Quote:it would serve me well to know how to do the same for collider collisions with the rope as well!

To detect collisions against colliders, you can subscribe to solver.OnCollision:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...sions.html

Messages In This Thread
Detect rope collision with raycast? - by Chironyx - 03-11-2020, 03:03 PM
RE: Detect rope collision with raycast? - by josemendez - 03-11-2020, 03:35 PM