Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issues with particles editing using OBI Editor
(15-10-2020, 01:46 PM)Pheebau Wrote: Thank you. I have to say I did read the guide more than once but when I saw you could remove particles, I assume you could add some as well Sonrisa

So the white gradient overlay that got created (see screenshots) while editing particles property show the effect (coverage area) on the soft body? Could you please elaborate on this?

The gradient shows how the currently selected property varies over the softbody surface. For instance, if your selected property is "mass", the gradient represents mass distribution. Excerpt from the manual (visualization options):

Quote:The source mesh used to generate the blueprint is rendered. The currently selected particle property is used to drive vertex colors. You can use the range options in the visualization section (see below) to determine how property values are mapped to colors.

(15-10-2020, 01:46 PM)Pheebau Wrote: What is the goal behind removing particles? I could see the main goal being performance as less particles would lead to some smaller cost in processing? Reason am asking is to better understand when to delete versus editing - I understand both are not mutually exclusive obviously.

The main reason you'd want to remove particles is when you don't want the entire mesh to behave as a softbody. See the elastic character sample scene for instance: only the arms have softbody physics applied:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...tbody.html

(15-10-2020, 01:46 PM)Pheebau Wrote: I was trying to add particles via the editor because my soft body (convex hull shape) was collapsing too much despite me playing with the Solver and particles properties but now I realize I likely need to play with particle radius + soft cluster radius and regenerate as I am iterating. I also keep seeing the blue links between particles as trusses and I may be misunderstanding what they are in your physics engine but couldn't find in the doc what they are exactly (at runtime)?

Adding particles won't prevent collapsing, what you want to do is increase the soft cluster radius. The blue links represent shape matching constraints. These are a type of constraint that tries to keep the overall shape of a particle neighborhood. See:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...aints.html

Messages In This Thread
RE: Issues with particles editing using OBI Editor - by josemendez - 15-10-2020, 01:53 PM