Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the softbody asset a good choice for modelling a soccer ball? [Answered]
I have been struggling in my soccer game to accurately model the physics of a soccer ball.

Unfortunately the physics for a sphere object that come with Unity don't model the ball accurately enough. There is only a very tiny contact point on the sphere collider when it comes into contact with another collider. This means that if there is any spin on the ball, or it hits a surface hard, the physics don't behave anywhere near accurately.

So the solution would be to use softbody physics for the ball. This would mean when it bounces with another collider the ball would deform slightly pressing more contact points against the other collider. Hence if the ball was spinning, if it bounced harder there would be a greater effect on the ball, than if it bounced more lightly.

However in the videos I have looked at for Obi, I cannot see any sphere examples with the rigidity that you would see in a soccer ball. In most cases it would only deform very slightly, only deforming to a larger extent when hit very hard.

From everything I have seen Obi looks incredibly well made, so it would probably be OK - I just want to know beforehand if possible before I pay on the Asset Store.

See a video below for a soccer ball being kicked very hard in slow motion, and see how limited the deformation is, and how quickly it returns to its normal shape. This is the kind of rigidity I am trying to model.

If you look at this video, the deformation when kicked is barely noticeable.

https://youtu.be/mbo2_h1mAG8

Final thing, I am not trying to have a 'simulation' level of accuracy here, just enough that for the most part the football appears to be behaving as expected. The game I am making is a fun party game, not a AAA FIFA competitor.

Messages In This Thread
Is the softbody asset a good choice for modelling a soccer ball? [Answered] - by adscott1982 - 10-09-2020, 10:20 PM