Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Rope physics unstable
Wow that was a fast response, i'm not at my desktop right now so i can't work with unity ATM but:

Quote:Tethers rely on a pre-process of the rope, so you can't have topological changes of any kind while using them.

I see, unfortunate. That does kinda nullify all the use i thought it would have in this situation, i assumed the tether would have its limits in situations where the rope was under tension but the first and last particle were close enough to where a tether wouldn't have effect, such as being bent around a corner. I was hopeful that there would be a way to dynamically add tether effects to mid points of the particles to help mitigate this, but yea, a tether doesn't seem to be what i'm looking for.

Quote:Are you using rods instead by any chance?

Im fairly certain i have the right object, i did the basic gameObject, create, Obi, ObiRope, (or whatever the path is) which made me an ObiSolver with a ObiRope child. I haven't tried rods yet.

Quote:Can you give steps to reproduce this?

I can reproduce it but it doesn't really take much in terms of steps, i just make a rope pinned to a few rigid bodies, slap on my rope script (basically just ObiRopeCurser.changeLength(restLength + K * deltaTime)) and it will pop up once every several minutes playing with the rope. I probably should have mentioned this earlier but when i first imported your asset files or whatever they're called, unity hit me with some sort of "API Obsolete" pop up, there was a bunch of warnings in the console but i accidentally cleared them all away before i could read them and they never showed up again, i figured sense they were warnings not errors it shouldn't be a problem but now i'm thinking this, the lookVectorZero, rope instability, and memory access violations might all be related. I believe i can reproduce this if i delete and reimport your rope assets, should i try?

Messages In This Thread
Rope physics unstable - by earagon088 - 23-07-2020, 10:56 AM
RE: Rope physics unstable - by josemendez - 23-07-2020, 12:23 PM
RE: Rope physics unstable - by earagon088 - 03-08-2020, 07:22 AM
RE: Rope physics unstable - by josemendez - 03-08-2020, 08:22 AM
RE: Rope physics unstable - by earagon088 - 03-08-2020, 10:57 AM