Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Offline Rendering] update Mesh Colliders
(24-02-2022, 12:29 PM)josemendez Wrote: Wrapping up: updating mesh collider at runtime --> extremely costly and brittle collision detection. I don't recommend doing it unless you're 110% sure of what you're doing, why, and how. OP wanted to do this for an offline animation (not realtime) so he can just reduce the timestep to a extremely small value until collisions work well enough. In a game, this is not an option as it would obliterate performance.
Thank you very much for your explanation.

I've done some search on Unity and heard  that the deformed mesh collider update really consumes much of computer resource.

Therefore I decide to switch to offline rendering and with slow motion effect. My intention now is to make a short introduction clip with slow motion effect.
I have learned to use the Time.timescale in script to make Unity run in slow motion effect. I tested many particles collide on a static high resolution mesh. Without the Time.timescale script, particle collision nearly crashes my Unity. However with the timescale set to 0.2, everything becomes ok. Moreover, decimating the mesh to 30% resolution makes the collision render smoother.

So could you please help me with modifying the ObiCollider script to update skin mesh collider?

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Offline Rendering] update Mesh Colliders - by hawk94 - 03-03-2022, 12:51 PM