Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding pin constraints to a rope gives it velocity
I'm working on a 2d grappling hook situation. I'm having the same rope stretchiness issues as other users are having where even with all the settings the same as the demo, it still seems very stretchy. (I've messed with distance constraints, unity's physics timestep size, substeps, source object's mass, etc.) However that issue wouldn't bother me that much if it weren't for this:

Creating the rope works fine, but when I add pin constraints on the rope (one on the source object, one on the hit object) it seems to also impart some velocity to the rope. The source object flies quickly towards the hit object, often at some speed.

If I only pin the rope to the hit object, the rope wiggles around and flies upwards before hanging.

If I only pin the rope to the source, it still imparts some velocity on the source object in the direction of the hit object, which obviously makes no sense since I've effectively just added a loose rope to the object and nothing more.

Basically it seems the rope by default starts with velocity on each particle. I'd like to know if there's a way to remove this velocity. I couldn't see an obvious method to do so.

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
Adding pin constraints to a rope gives it velocity - by EmmetOT - 18-04-2020, 07:46 PM