Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cloth phasing through itself
Just transferring this over from the Unity Forums:
I tried the proxy with a lower poly mesh, and it definitely did not look right. Luckily, with the nature of the poster, I can switch to the lower poly version when using the cloth part because it simply falls to the ground after being clicked.

My other issue is with the cloth phasing through itself. Is there a particular reason for this?

Just some info: My goal is to have the poster fall to the floor. That all works fine. It's just how the poster looks once it has fallen that is the problem.

Arkano responded with:
"If you're simulating a poster, I'd ditch the mesh you are currently using and use a regular homogeneous plane with a cutout texture. There's no need to model all the small details at the edges of the poster using geometry -in fact that's very very bad practice both from a rendering and a simulation point of view-.

Regarding the poster pasting trough itself: have you enabled self-collisions (checkbox in the ObiCloth inspector)? also, take a look at your particles using the particle editor: select all particles and set the property selector to "radius". Particles can only collide with each other, and your mesh topology looks like it has large gaps between vertices in some zones (trough which particles can pass even with self-collisions on), and large amounts of vertices clumped together in others (which is a waste of resources)."

So in response to Arkano:

We already got all our art assets and it was contracted out, so I can't really change it too much. I threw it into blender and decimated it a lot to get less than 250 polys. That helped with the lag problem for sure.

So I do have self collisions enabled, but I don't seem to have particles (vertices) in the center area, but I'm not an artist at all. So I'm not entirely sure how to get this working. There aren't really any particles that make sense for increasing the radius.

Messages In This Thread
Cloth phasing through itself - by kamikaze425 - 26-10-2017, 08:28 PM
RE: Cloth phasing through itself - by niZmo - 26-10-2017, 08:58 PM
RE: Cloth phasing through itself - by kamikaze425 - 26-10-2017, 10:01 PM
RE: Cloth phasing through itself - by niZmo - 26-10-2017, 10:06 PM
RE: Cloth phasing through itself - by kamikaze425 - 26-10-2017, 10:21 PM
RE: Cloth phasing through itself - by niZmo - 26-10-2017, 10:33 PM
RE: Cloth phasing through itself - by kamikaze425 - 26-10-2017, 10:43 PM
RE: Cloth phasing through itself - by niZmo - 26-10-2017, 10:51 PM
RE: Cloth phasing through itself - by kamikaze425 - 26-10-2017, 11:08 PM
RE: Cloth phasing through itself - by niZmo - 26-10-2017, 11:44 PM
RE: Cloth phasing through itself - by josemendez - 27-10-2017, 10:13 AM