Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  CPU time-slice rope rendering/physics?
(13-02-2020, 01:27 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

I think you don't understand the concept of fixed timestepping: physics are entirely decoupled from the framerate, that's the whole point of having a separate physics update cycle!. Physics are 'sliced' by design. In fact, the same article you reference mentions this:

"But this is the key I realized back at that point: rendering at 72 FPS doesn't mean you must execute everything at 72 FPS. In fact, physics already execute at a different pace."

Most engines (Obi being no exception) even include a interpolation mechanism to achieve smooth transitions between physics states, during frames where the physics engine hasn't been updated. Simply updating the state some frames (enabling/disabling the engine every other frame) and reusing the same state until the next physics update would make the simulation to look like it is happening in "stop-motion", causing stuttering.

So the answer for your question would be: increase your fixed timestep. This will cause the physics engine to update less often. As result, the simulation will be lower-quality, though.

Note: rendering can't be sliced, because even if physics weren't updated during a frame, you still need to draw something to the screen.

Alright thanks - i surely have a lot to learn and understand regarding physics!

Messages In This Thread
RE: CPU time-slice rope rendering/physics? - by TheMunk - 13-02-2020, 01:54 PM