Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Static ropes possible?
(28-09-2017, 04:14 AM)dignifiedweb Wrote: Although, you definitely got an amazing answer that I will keep in mind, have you considered exporting your rope mesh at runtime using a unity Editor Plugin? 

For instance, this one works pretty well, just tested with my ObiRope and exported the mesh just fine as an OBJ:
EditorObjExporter.cs
http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=...escription

Then you run your project, get the ropes looking the way you like and select all ropes you want to export in the scene view or object hierarchy, go to the Custom menu which now appears --> Export --> export whole selection to single obj. Then, the files appear 1 folder back *not* under the assets folder, but your unity project folder. 

If you want it in the same position, you could do what I do and just position a "calibration cube" that you delete after, but also export as part of your OBJ. Then, you hold "V" as you're importing it to your scene and the whole thing pops back in the same position it was before, since you snap it to vertex. After, delete the calibration cubes. 

I used it for a quick drawing app I made to draw out my train of thought in VR, then export the whole thing and design objects that match the size. Cheers, hope that helps! VR is awesome! Obi Rope is awesome too!

As long as he doesn't need to switch between static/dynamic rope, this is a good solution and it consumes less memory than a deactivated rope. Thumbs up! 

Messages In This Thread
Static ropes possible? - by Sauerkraut - 26-09-2017, 07:58 PM
RE: Static ropes possible? - by josemendez - 27-09-2017, 08:56 AM
RE: Static ropes possible? - by Sauerkraut - 27-09-2017, 10:00 PM
RE: Static ropes possible? - by dignifiedweb - 28-09-2017, 04:14 AM
RE: Static ropes possible? - by josemendez - 28-09-2017, 08:51 AM