Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  ObiSolver.Lateupdate() bad performance
(05-08-2021, 09:55 AM)TheMunk Wrote: I'm already using burst - I was talking about the vertex calculations for creating the extrusion/line renderer.

Oh, ok. That is scheduled for Obi 7, as it involves taking all rendering code and moving it to Burst too, which is a lot of work. Will take a few months to get there. In the meantime, there's ways to make rendering faster depending on what your use case is.

If your ropes have a significant amount of straight regions, using decimation can improve performance a lot. This will adaptively reduce mesh resolution based on curvature. See:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...modes.html

For instance if you ropes cannot be torn or resized, skinning a mesh to the particles will be much faster because no mesh data needs to be calculated from scratch every frame. This will require you writing some custom code to copy particle positions to bones though.

(05-08-2021, 09:55 AM)TheMunk Wrote: What exactly am I supposed to be stitching to get a (seemingly) continuous rope made of multiple rope segments?

When you stitch two particles together, they will try and collapse into a point. Stitching the way you currently are is guaranteed to cause a mess.
Overlap the ropes and then stitch them, just like you'd do in real life to sew two ropes together:

Code:

(o)--------(o)---------(o)
           !          !
(o)-------(o)--------(o)

The "!" are stitches, (o) are particles and ------ rope segments. Hope my shitty diagram makes some sense, let me know otherwise.
Don't forget to deactivate collisions between the stitched particles, otherwise they will try and collide with each other.

Messages In This Thread
RE: ObiSolver.Lateupdate() bad performance - by josemendez - 05-08-2021, 10:01 AM