Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small FPS on Android mobile phone
(26-11-2019, 01:49 PM)josemendez Wrote: The SimpleFluid scene is optimized for mobile, all other scenes are optimized for multicore desktop computers.
Performance is the result of multiple factors:

- Amount of particles being simulated. The lower, the better for performance.
- The fluid blueprint's smoothing radius (see:http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutorials/emittermaterials.html). Again, the lower the better.
- Timestep settings (Unity's fixed timestep and max fixed tilmestep). The higher (longer) the timestep, the better.
- Solver settings (amount of substeps and density iterations). Fewer substeps/iterations result in better performance.
- Rendering resolution. Lower resolution yields better performance.

In mobile, the bottleneck is generally rendering. You can only determine this trough profiling your app in the device, using Unity's profiler. If rendering is indeed the bottleneck, then you should consider what your rendering needs are:

- If you need full 3D rendering with specular highlights, reflection, refraction, transmittance, turbidity and foam, using the standard FluidRenderer is your best bet. Slightly tweaking buffer resolution and shader code to improve performance should be viable. I can help you with tweaking if you need.

- If you need simpler 2D rendering with refraction and transmittance, then start from SimpleFluidRenderer.

For most games, you'd want to write your own custom-tailored FluidRenderer anyway, as you might want some of the advanced features of the standard renderer, but not all.

Hi Jose,

Thank you for sharing the performance tips above, I find them very helpful.

- The requirements for my project are to render a full 3D fluid in mobile devices and I'm trying to optimize it as much as I can and that lead me to this thread. 
Now, you mentioned that by doing some tweaking in buffer resolution and shader code can help improve the performance: "Slightly tweaking buffer resolution and shader code to improve performance should be viable. I can help you with tweaking if you need." - Will you be able to help me on this case ?

Thank you in advance

Messages In This Thread
RE: Small FPS on Android mobile phone - by N0Skillz - 15-01-2020, 08:20 AM
RE: Small FPS on Android mobile phone - by ktpttd - 15-02-2020, 05:38 AM