Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rope Disable/Enable
OK so it is definitely sporadic but if a rope is lying against the ground, and you toggle enable a few times, you can get it to fall through

Falling Through Gif

Here's another example, I just made the rope longer (more particles = more likely to happen) you don't even have to pin one end

Stuck 2

I just toggle enable a bunch of times. You'll see that the end goes through quickly and then the body does as well

So in my experimentation, I found that disabling the Obi Solver instead of the Rope does not cause any problems.

I have been trying to figure out the best way to have massive numbers of ropes on the screen without causing performance issues and I finally came up with a solution which seems to work fine (I do NOT need ropes to collide with each other)

1. Each rope gets its own Obi Solver as opposed to sharing
2. I have a component which monitors the average velocity of the rope particles and if it falls below a threshold that I set, I disable the solver
3. When the player starts to interact with the rope again, I enable the solver

Previously after about 15 ropes all sharing a single solver with about 250 particles each, I would see my FPS dip down to 30 or lower

Now I have over 30 ropes on the screen, but since most of the solvers are disabled, it doesn't affect FPS at all.

Clearly this would only work if you know definitively when a rope is going to need to be simulated, but for my purposes this is an acceptable solution until the Enable/Disable collider issue can be resolved.

Here is a video of a scene I made with tons of ropes being disabled due to low velocities - note the FPS stability

http://imgur.com/a/uwxGE

Messages In This Thread
Rope Disable/Enable - by ptrick - 08-09-2017, 05:53 PM
RE: Rope Disable/Enable - by niZmo - 08-09-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: Rope Disable/Enable - by ptrick - 08-09-2017, 07:18 PM
RE: Rope Disable/Enable - by niZmo - 08-09-2017, 07:27 PM
RE: Rope Disable/Enable - by ptrick - 08-09-2017, 07:32 PM
RE: Rope Disable/Enable - by ptrick - 08-09-2017, 08:53 PM
RE: Rope Disable/Enable - by Lluluien - 09-08-2018, 04:48 PM
RE: Rope Disable/Enable - by ptrick - 09-08-2018, 05:03 PM