Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Softbody for Vehicles?
(06-02-2019, 04:46 PM)StudioTatsu Wrote: I am attempting to use the obi softbody for vehicle deformation but it extremely challenging.

The problem I am having is the vehicle just collapses (I increased the polycount and frame rate drop dramatically)

I've tried increasing the solver substeps, and the amount of shape matching constraints. Frame rate dropped to 8fps.

Is there a setting similar Obi Rods to keep the rest shape of a softbody and still to allow it to deform? 

Any advice or help is appreciated.

Thanks

Hi there,

Rods and soft bodies use the same core concept at the core. A softbody will try to maintain its rest shape, given appropriate settings (short enough tilmestep, sufficient iterations, and not too many clusters).

You should have less/larger particles (increase the particle radius) and larger shape matching clusters (increases soft cluster radius). This way you'll get more rigid clusters -since they involve more particles- and cheaper simulation too since there's less of them. There's no need to have one particle per vertex in the mesh, that will kill performance for larger models.

Quote:I increased the polycount and frame rate drop dramatically
The main advantage of Obi is that it lets you define a coarser, particle-based representation that has much less particles than vertices in the original mesh. So take advantage of it!

In the near future we want to allow for manual editing of individual shape matching clusters in-editor, which would give a bit more control over soft body creation.

Messages In This Thread
Softbody for Vehicles? - by StudioTatsu - 06-02-2019, 04:46 PM
RE: Softbody for Vehicles? - by josemendez - 06-02-2019, 06:48 PM
RE: Softbody for Vehicles? - by StudioTatsu - 06-02-2019, 08:56 PM
RE: Softbody for Vehicles? - by josemendez - 07-02-2019, 10:39 AM
RE: Softbody for Vehicles? - by josemendez - 07-02-2019, 05:37 PM
RE: Softbody for Vehicles? - by StudioTatsu - 08-02-2019, 01:59 AM
RE: Softbody for Vehicles? - by josemendez - 08-02-2019, 08:23 AM
RE: Softbody for Vehicles? - by StudioTatsu - 07-02-2019, 06:52 PM
RE: Softbody for Vehicles? - by StudioTatsu - 08-02-2019, 01:21 PM