Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion / Idea  How to Achieve Realistic Specular Reflection in PBD Particle Collisions?
Bombilla 
Dear Developers,

I hope this message finds you well. Recently, I have been thoroughly studying the articles on PBD simulations and came across an issue related to the rebound behavior of simulated particles, which I have illustrated in some images.https://www.bilibili.com/opus/975052950303932425

In the first scenario, which reflects real-world physics, when an object collides with a flat surface, the rebound is similar to specular reflection of light. In the second scenario, within PBD, when a high Maxdepenetration value is used, the particles tend to slide along the surface after the collision. In the third scenario, with a low Maxdepenetration value, the particles are ejected perpendicularly from the surface due to the depenetration velocity limitation.

I understand that this behavior is a result of how PBD calculates velocity based on position adjustment and the previous frame’s position. My question is: how can I achieve a rebound that mimics the real-world reflection angle after a collision? Could it be possible to apply impulses to the particles, similar to how Obi rigid body impulses are applied in fluid-solid coupling, to achieve this?

In my research, achieving this type of specular reflection upon collision is crucial, rather than having only the options of surface sliding or vertical rebound. Is there a feasible way to modify the Obi code to implement this?

Thank you very much for your time and assistance!

Best regards.

Messages In This Thread
How to Achieve Realistic Specular Reflection in PBD Particle Collisions? - by GuoliZheng - 09-09-2024, 06:44 AM