Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Unity physics interaction on v7.0
Hi! I'm trying to simulate rope climbing equipment in a VR environment. It involves a LOT of interaction between Unity physics and Obi particles.

This is an older video of what I'm doing using ObiRope 6

I made a custom attachment system that can feed the rope forward and backwards with friction. The rope needs to be high resolution so there are a lot of pin transforms involved.
I got the physics to work pretty nicely but I ran into a performance ceiling.
I thought I would try the GPU accelerated backend on the beta and sure enough performance is vastly improved! Great work on that improvement! And thanks a lot, that will be important for my game.

However, I'm experiencing some drawbacks. Right away it feels like the rope has much more inertia like it is very heavy or damped. The syncing with Unity physics seems to be different and lags after the object it is pinned to. Or it may be the rididbodies lagging after the rope...

I see there is an option for sync or async but switching that only lowered my framerate.

What is my best option here? Would updating Unity physics on Update instead of FixedUpdate help? Or would it be cleaner to try and model the equipment and hands purely as particles and constraints and position the object onto the particles representing it?

Oh, just realized that 7.0 is out of beta. I should try updating but how much can that affect?

Messages In This Thread
Unity physics interaction on v7.0 - by goosejordan - 09-08-2024, 10:12 AM