Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Performance issue on specific Windows desktop machine
(18-10-2022, 11:34 AM)michele_lf Wrote: Thanks a lot!

I think this is most probably what the issue is. I am not very familiar with the profiler but I can see the FixedUpdate being called multiple times during the PlayerLoop. This is with the default FixedUpdate setting of 0.02. We have 34 Workers (36 threads minus the 2 Unity uses for main thread and rendering).

With a FixedUpdate setting of 0.05 things get better and we go up from ~5FPS to about 50FPS

Hi Michele,

Yes, that makes sense. This is what is called death spiraling, affects all fixed timestepping based schemes like the one used by Unity. Reducing the max allowed timestep can also help, by limiting the amount of times FixedUpdate() is called in cases where the simulation is too heavy.

(18-10-2022, 11:34 AM)michele_lf Wrote: I am finding it hard ti decipher the profiler window, is there anything I should be looking at specifically?
I can see there is still quite a bit of idle time on each Worker for each frame?

Idle time in the worker threads means the main thread is busy doing something. It can be just preparing new work for the workers, or doing some work of its own.

There's very few things in Obi that aren't parallelized, one of them however is force areas which get updated in the solver's BeginStep(). Are you using wind/force areas together with large clothes in your scene?

kind regards,

Messages In This Thread
RE: Performance issue on specific Windows desktop machine - by josemendez - 18-10-2022, 11:51 AM