Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Questions About Obi Fluid
Hi, today I played with Obi Fluid and I wanted to ask some questions.

- How to use Obi Particle Baker? I couldn't found any documentation.
- When I use high density materials, the collision on bucket is not properly works. (The particles go out on collider when I move the bucket fast.) 
- Is there any way to prepare the fluid before scene is started? (For example a glass of water needs to be ready when the scene started.)

Thanks in advance.
(26-03-2020, 10:32 PM)relevantname Wrote: Hi, today I played with Obi Fluid and I wanted to ask some questions.

- How to use Obi Particle Baker? I couldn't found any documentation.
- When I use high density materials, the collision on bucket is not properly works. (The particles go out on collider when I move the bucket fast.) 
- Is there any way to prepare the fluid before scene is started? (For example a glass of water needs to be ready when the scene started.)

Thanks in advance.

1.- The particle baker was removed in 5.0, because Unity now has Alembic import support which serves the same purpose but is much better. The current version in the store is 5.2.
2.- This is called tunneling. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms0Z35GY6pk
3.- Yes, use a fluid emitter shape (or combination of shapes), along with "burst" emission mode in the emitter. This will emit as many particles as the shape requires at once, when the emitter is awaken.
(27-03-2020, 08:31 AM)josemendez Wrote: 1.- The particle baker was removed in 5.0, because Unity now has Alembic import support which serves the same purpose but is much better. The current version in the store is 5.2.
2.- This is called tunneling. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms0Z35GY6pk
3.- Yes, use a fluid emitter shape (or combination of shapes), along with "burst" emission mode in the emitter. This will emit as many particles as the shape requires at once, when the emitter is awaken.

Thanks for the answer, I'm using Obi Fluid 4.1. 

What I want to know is what is particle baker is and what is the purpose of using it? I imagine that, it is something like for example recording the fluid effect and then using this in the game without emitting any real time particles.

Thank you again.
(27-03-2020, 09:19 AM)relevantname Wrote: Thanks for the answer, I'm using Obi Fluid 4.1. 

What I want to know is what is particle baker is and what is the purpose of using it? I imagine that, it is something like for example recording the fluid effect and then using this in the game without emitting any real time particles.

Thank you again.

Hi,

The purpose of the baker is to record the position of particles during a simulation, and store them to a disk cache (an asset file). They can then be then played back as if it was a video. The cost is lower than performing a full simulation, but no interaction with the particles is possible during playback.

Alembic lets you perform any simulation of any kind in an external, high-quality simulator (Houdini, RealFlow, etc), and then import the resulting mesh sequence into Unity for playback. Offers both better performance and quality than the baker, so we removed it.