Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cave diving and cave crawing simulator in VR
Hello!

I've been working on a caving simulator for some time now. Obi has become an integral part to get rope climbing, guidelines and hoses interactive! It's incredible what it can do :O

I'm seeing some performance issues from the high fidelity of the rope, but hopefully the new GPU accelerated version can improve on that!

Looks incredible! Can't wait to see more. I would love to know some more about it, particularly the grabbing of the rope. Are you using the XR Interaction Toolkit?
(20-06-2024, 09:07 AM)matty337s Wrote: Looks incredible! Can't wait to see more. I would love to know some more about it, particularly the grabbing of the rope. Are you using the XR Interaction Toolkit?

I'm indeed using XR, but through an asset called Auto Hand. It adds dynamic grab poses and physics to affect your hands.

The grabbing of the rope is a copy-paste from a forum post here but updated to the latest version that outputs simplices in the collision callbacks instead of particles.

The rope break device is attached through a custom script that attaches particles on a spline. The tension on the ends are then analysed combined with the attachments friction. The net force then lets the particles feed through the attachment in either direction.

Next step is to use the above solution to grab onto the rope. It will allow you to slide the hands over the rope instead of stretching it should too much force be applied - for instance if you grab the rope with both hands and then move them in opposite directions.